Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Making a DVD

So there I was, sat in bed, when suddenly a thought struck me like a stone hurled by a particularly accurate stone hurler. "Why not make a DVD?" my brain excitedly yelled. "It'd be so much fun and you can call it 'Fat Tony's Beatbox Tutorials Volume 1' and people can buy it and you could even handwrite little thank-you notes when you send them!"

Rather foolishly, the rest of me replied with "wow, brain, that's a really good idea" and thus the concept of a DVD was born. Of course, saying "I would like to make a DVD" is extremely easy, but within twenty-four hours my old friend Low Self Esteem (hereafter referred to as LSE) started kicking up a fuss along with Mr Dilemma (hereafter referred to as MD).

LSE: Nobody would buy it, you know. Your videos are all online, people would just view them there, it's a waste of time and money.
MD: You should re-record the tutorials then, and make them higher quality.
LSE: Oh yeah? With his stupid little camera and little netbook? It'll look terrible.
MD: Then maybe just a DVD with the tutorials on it in an easy-to-view layout?
LSE: Why would anybody want that?
MD: Shut up, I'm thinking here... now, should you sell them through a publisher direct or have a few hundred mailed out to you?
LSE: A few HUNDRED? Only he and his mother are actually going to buy a copy, what will he do with the rest, hand them out on street corners?

And so on, and so forth.

I would very much like to put out a DVD but I am somewhat torn with the various options (just looking at how to produce it is enough to make me crawl under my blanket and weep silently). I would love to refilm a bunch of tutorials but that would take an extremely long time and probably wind up being more effort than it's worth. I might end up just editing each video slightly to chop out the credits and bloopers and stuff.

The point of this (rather confused) blog is basically to ask for input from you guys, my fans, subscribers, and viewers. What do you want to see? What would you buy? What would you absolutely not buy?

Please comment, I could use the input!

Peace, love, and a battle within

-FT

4 comments:

  1. Yeah man make a dvd but show how to beatbox in greater depth
    i watch your tutorials they're really good
    what you could do is beatbox out on the street and have a stall set up with your dvd's on beatboxing people will buy them
    and even if they don't (which won't happen)
    it still worth a try mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO it man :D
    Your the best
    Ihave learned too much beats from You
    Thanks for every thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finishing a Doctor of Musical Arts Degree at USC in LA in Conducting, Voice and Music Education. I teach University students and have experienced a lot of teachers throughout my life. As I wrote on your Youtube Channel Wall, I think you're an exceptionally talented teacher. I also watched a lot of beatboxing tutorials done by other people on Youtube and found none as clear and concise as yours.

    I think you have a real opportunity with this DVD idea. You obviously have such a great passion for your Art and making a high quality DVD is the next step. I looked on Amazon and there's only one beatboxing DVD available, which means that humanbeatbox.com has a monopoly on beatboxing DVD's. I believe your DVD will sell even better because of your Youtube reputation.

    Trust your instinct and your original inspiration and don't let those negative voices bring you down with all of their tired self-sabotaging scripts. In the case of inspiration, I always feel that if I just say YES, the Universe somehow conspires to make it happen. Believe that you'll meet the right people and the most perfect circumstances and it'll all come about without striving.

    All the best. Lemme know when the DVD comes out and I'll be first to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A better idea would be to take the layout of the website, and the videos on YouTube, and turn it into a mobile application; iOS for iPad/Pod/Phone would give you a huge platform for exposure, and a few bob wouldn't hurt either.

    You could take things like the beats and turn them into playable loops, animated karaoke style with the normal/slow/slower playback speeds. The various beatbox sounds could be collected in a scrollable sound library of categories and subcategories, w/sounds, and w/links to the corresponding YouTube video (saves you having to make it a web-app that needs an internet connection to run properly).

    I have no developer skill, but you could always make an account with MEDL Mobile, or make a video asking for help on YT, I'm sure there's people out there who could help you make a BeatBox with Fat Tony app. I could see an iPad app working pretty well and there's lots of potential for ideas, in-app purchases and things like that.

    ReplyDelete